Description of the Corporate Governance of ICT course
The Corporate Governance of ICT Policy Framework is based on principles found in the King III Code, ISO/IEC 38500 and COBIT 5. It stipulates certain governance practices for a government entity's Executive Authority, the Head of Department, the Risk and Audit Committee, and the Executive Management. The policy framework also outlines the implementation approach to be used, and sets out the high-level activities in a three phased approach.
This seminar provides delegates with a clear understanding of the overall policy framework and the relevant sections of the King III Code, ISO/IEC 38500 and COBIT 5.
After attending this seminar delegates will understand the implementation approach to be used and the high-level activities of the three phased approach.
The purpose of this seminar is to assist participants understand how to implement the Corporate Governance of ICT Policy Framework and specifically address the requirements of the three phases.
On completion of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of Corporate Governance of ICT policy framework
- Articulate how King III, ISO/IEC 38500 and COBIT 5 fulfill the requirements for the Corporate Governance of ICT
- Assist the Executive Authority and HoD fulfil their governance responsibilities and Executive Management fulfil their responsibilities to implement and manage ICT
- Develop an ICT Governance framework
- Design and implement a management system for IT
- Design and implement the core processes and components of the Framework using COBIT 5.
The role and responsibilities of the Executive Authority, Head of Department and Executive Management for the implementation of an ICT Policy Framework.
The key sources that have influenced the development of the Policy Framework:
- Public Service Act and Regulations (as amended)
- Public Finance Management Act
- State IT Agency Act and Regulations (as amended)
- The Corporate Governance of ICT Policy Framework
- CGICT Assessment Standard
- COBIT 5 Processes: EDM1, APO1, APO2, DSS1 and MEA1.
An overview of the Corporate Governance in the Public Sector, Corporate Governance of ICT in the Public Sector, the Objectives, the Principles, the Corporate Governance of ICT Practices, and the Enabling Structures, including:
- Implementation of an ICT governance framework (based on King III, ISO 38500 and COBIT 5)
- Creating an accountability framework and defining roles and responsibilities
- Implementing the Policy Framework and drafting effective IT policies
- Developing an ICT Governance Charter
- Implementing an effective management system
- Integrating processes and institutionalising capability
- Aligning IT operations with organisational goals and strategic objectives
- Creating value, optimising risk management and resource usage
- Managing risks, implementing a system of internal controls and ensuring regulatory compliance.